Experiencing Oktoberfest at Paulaner Bräuhaus Jakarta: The Food and The Beer


Oktoberfest is about music, food, and beer. As a starter, the waiter brought us mugs of beer, one for each of us. The beer tasted different with the one I ever drank. It was darker and a little bit bitter, but it was still pretty good (FYI, I still can’t distinguish the tastes of beers, but believe me this one was great). As a German maniac, I asked the waiter what kind of beer it was, and he said, “This one is brewed specially and only available for Oktoberfest.” Wow, was it Märzen? I had not got a chance to ask about it, but if it was Märzen I would be sooooo grateful. The other great thing was it was a free flow beer. Holy hell I was so thrilled.

The Pretzels. Aren't they beautiful?

Next, the food started coming to our table. The appetizers were ham, lard, potato salad, cucumber salad, pickles, and German basket bread consist of sourdoughs, sun-dried tomato bread, salt-stick, and kaiserroll. Also, the famous pretzels were served hanging on a stick. Do not ever think that the pretzels taste like Auntie Anne’s because these were the original pretzels, salty and a little bit crunchy outside.

The main course. Yumm...

The main course was the one that we’ve been waiting for. It consists of meat loaf, roasted chicken, pork schnitzel, and a platter of Paulaner sausages (Nuremberger – my favorite, Krakauer, and Vienna) along with sauerkraut, mashed potato, and French fries. One thing that got me so happy was they serve that famous pork knuckle! I only saw it on YouTube before and now it was before my eyes. It looked the same with those on the internet: crispy outside and soft inside. Hearing the crunchy sounds when you cut it into pieces was rapture. However, I found something was missing and quite sad knowing that the pork knuckle was served without its sauce and potato dumpling. Another German meals they serve were beef goulash with carrots (this one was delicious), mushrooms, and buttered spätzle.

Sweet Love Alemania

As desserts, they served some cakes to sweeten up our night. A piece of Emperor’s pancake with apple compote and Grandma’s original black forest cake (yes, black forest cake is originally from Germany) were put neatly on a white wide plate. The black forest won the night.

Noch ein Bier, bitte!

The Oktoberfest at Paulaner Bräuhaus was lit. It was created with the ambience closer to the original one in Munich. People were dancing to the song and walked around hand in hand blissfully. The musicians also chanted the typical Oktoberfest song, the one that always being sung repeatedly every 10 or 20 minute during the party: Ein Prosit. It’s the rule.
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit 
Der Gemutlichkeit 
Ein Prosit, ein Prosit 
Der Gemutlichkeit

Everyone then raised the glassed as the band said, “Oans, zwoa, drei, Gsuffa!”
We clinked the glass before we sip it down to our throat. The party was life. I drank only two mugs of beer. I could drink more than two mugs that night if I was not drunk that quick. Seriously, I would like to drink more. Noch ein Bier, bitte!

Comments

Post a Comment