The Girl Next Blog


Let’s imagine we’re on a bar, sitting side by side facing a long table under the dusky light.

And just like The Script sing it to us

“We’re gonna start by drinking old cheap bottles of wine, sit talking up all night, doing things we haven’t for a while”

And I’m going to tell you about myself

The most accurate word that usually uses to describe myself is that I am a dreamer. It might sound similar to what the horoscope says about Pisces, that they are dreamers. I dream that one day I will work while travel the world. Imagine that as you travel the world, you will meet a lot of people from different countries and races, learn their cultures, study the histories, and taste the traditional foods. Then, you will pass your stories to people for giving them information about the experiences, not for bragging for sure. Meanwhile, you still can earn money. I wonder of a travel journalist. Doesn’t is sound fun?

However, nothing comes instantly. Everything needs process. I took English Language and Literature in a state university which is located at Malang, my hometown. Since I love cultures, languages, and derived by my imagination to travel the world, I had no doubt to take the course. I really enjoyed the college life, even working on my thesis became less depressing (well, I lie. It was still stressful, tho). As I graduated 3 years ago, my mom urged me to leave the home and suggested me to go to Jakarta and get a job. And here I am, live in a damn busy city of blinding light for 3 years, working as…………. a secretary. It is way far from what I have imagined. Well, I am a secretary for an Indonesian fashion magazine, where the people can speak Prada, describing Alexander McQueen to YSL. Here, my English is not completely useless. I take care of many things, including preparing the documents for journalists who will be sent to do coverage abroad. To be honest, it is kind of hard to hear them say, “Safe flight! Have fun in LA!” Or overhearing a conversation about some destinations to visit while in Paris for example. Even I have to hold back my tears every time they hand me their passports. Furthermore , they can talk about the routes in Japan just like we talk about how to go to Tanah Abang from Senayan. Damn. Yep, it feels like a slap to my face. With an extremely giant hand. If you watch a TV series Supernatural,  I can say it is quite similar to an episode entitled It’s Terrible Life. I wish Zachariah would tap his finger on my forehead and say, “Welcome to your real world, Liss. How’s the article about exploring Edinburgh?” 
Despite, I still able to put smiles on my face and survive for almost 3 years working on this field, although none understand football. Of course, the speak Prada, not Steven Gerrard! 

In the 22nd day of 2018, I wish I can make a change. I saw a post from my sister about One Day One Post and I have an interest to join it. By joining the community, I wish the awareness of writing in my inner brain will wake up from its beautiful sleep, since the subject is actually familiar and inseparable when I was in college. Extraordinary experience? Well, actually I am building my extraordinary experience through this community as well. I wish I can last longer and it helps me to re-build my dreams.

Thank you for sharing these old cheap bottles of wine with me.

Comments